Postcode for SatNavDT3 6EL
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-724830

Church imageOsmington

St. Osmund

This is an attractive church with a long history and a first recorded vicar in 1302.  Sadly only parts of the pointed chancel arch and bits of the arcade shafting remain from the original, however the tower is 15c.  The rest is a Victorian restoration of 1846 by Benjamin Ferry, who was responsible for many churches in the county.

There is a rather glum roughly carved inscription in the small chancel that reads as follows:

"Man's life.
Man is a glas: life is
a water that's weakly
walled about: sinne bring
es death: death breakes
the glas: so runnes
the water out

Note the very fine lectern.  The font is square Purbeck stone decorated with four pointed arches on each side. The pulpit is Victorian.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©