Broadoak

Postcode for SatNavDT6 5PY
O.S. Landranger Map reference193-438963

Blandford

Broadoak

St. Paul

This simple little church is a chapel-of-ease and just serves the hamlet of Broadoak.  It was erected during the 1860s at the instigation the the Symondsbury incumbent, Revd. Henry Rawlinson, who was also responsible for Eype church.  Of great importance is the Broadoak Chalice, which was purchased as a thanksgiving offering by local farmers in 1866 for being spared from the effects of a particularly virulent cattle disease called Rinderpest.  This condition, similar to foot-and-mouth, had wiped out herds all over West Dorset, ruining many farmers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©