Up Cerne

Postcode for SatNavDT2 7AW
O.S. Landranger Map referenceSheet 194 Grid Ref ST658027

The church at Up Cerne is wonderfully set in a bowl of the downs in the parkland of the neighbouring Up Cerne Manor House.

The building, constructed of flint and stone bands, is essentially Victorian except fo the mainly 16th century chancel and was probably rebuilt around the time that the manor house was altered and restored.  There is a good Jacobean pulpit and the square Purbeck font is 12c.  The barrel roof with corbels sculpted into heads gives a very pleasing effect. There is a memorial window by F C Eden produced in 1915.

The Church is not part of the Cerne Abbas Benefice but privately owned with restricted access.

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges input to text by Robin Adeney and drone photography by Richard Noble © 2918

Search by Village Name