This is one of the Dorset churches that is a must for any Thomas Hardy enthusiast. The tower is 15c. The rest is to an original design by John Hicks (died 1868), but executed by C.R.Crickmay in 1869. Thomas Hardy was an assistant to both Hicks and Crickmay and he is usually credited with the design of the capitals and possibly the bearded heads that form the corbels. Hardy was great friends with the vicar, Thomas Perkins (1893-1907) and would often bicycle out to evensong. There is a lovely description of him reading the lesson 'with the steam rising from his brow after all the exercise on a hot afternoon.'
The font, reredos and pulpit are all of 1869.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©