The present church was designed in the then fashionable Neo Norman style by G. Alexander and completed in 1846. It replaced an earlier building about which this commentator has been unable to find any details. This project must have proved to be an extremely difficult brief because the architect was obliged to draw up no less than six different sets of plans for his clients. He was asked to change from the Early English style to Perpendicular and alter the size of the church three times. The cost came to £1,901 19s 6d of which £1,760 13s 10d was raised by subscription. Interestingly, the faculty of 1847 was issued to confirm what had already been built!. (Alexander was also responsible for East Stour 1842: Enmore Green 1843 and Sutton Waldron: 1847).
The church sits in a delightful churchyard next to the village school. Inside, the building is tall and bright with light streaming in through the generous aisle windows. Arches on either side of the nave, which are supported by octagonal piers, lend a sense of grandeur to the scene.
The font is C13 with a C17 cover.
A new and very beautiful glass door has been installed between the porch and the church. Also, in a very far sighted effort to offer really modern facilities, a new servery and lavatory have been provided at the rear of the north aisle.
This is a church well worth visiting.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©