Child Okeford

Postcode for SatNavDT11 8ED
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-836127

Child Okeford

St. Nicholas

The church rests on raised ground slightly above the rest of this big village, but well below the ramparts of Hambledon Hill. 

It has a powerful C15 greensand tower, but the rest is a Victorian restoration of 1850 and another by T.H.Wyatt of 1878-9.  The slightly garish chancel was refitted with marble facing to the walls and gold mosaic on the reredos by Wippell & Co in 1911.  The organ in the chancel was built to a specification of Sir Arthur Sullivan (Gilbert & Sullivan) who stayed in the village.

An interesting church well worth a visit.

 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

Search by Village Name