Colehill

Postcode for SatNavBH21 2RY
O.S. Landranger Map reference195-025013

Colehill

St. Michael and All Angels

Colehill is a leafy suburb of Wimborne and this church seems to harmonise rather well with its setting.  It was designed by W.D.Caröe and consecrated in 1895.  The architect was also responsible for a number of other churches in Dorset, most notably the east end of the Lady Chapel at Sherborne Abbey and a chapel in Gillingham Church, both in 1921.

This is a very interesting brick-built church with mock half-timbering and intriguing roof elevations and shapes.  The use of dormer windows in the nave roof hint at clerestory.

The church is normally locked.

 

  

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©