Langton Long

Postcode for SatNavDT11 9HS
O.S. Landranger Map reference195-158059

Beer hackLangton Long

All Saints

This building by T.H.Wyatt of 1861 replaced an earlier church on the same site and is generous for the tiny size of the hamlet it serves.  However, when it was built it catered for the nearby Langton Long House, a large mansion with an army of servants, which was pulled down in 1949.  It has an impressive tower generously adorned with pinnacles and the whole is constructed of very finely worked banded flint and stone.

The exterior gives little hint the exquisite interior, which is an example of Victorian design at its best.  It is complete with a crossing and north and south transepts.  Note also the beautiful font, supported on a central pillar and four marble shafts.

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©