Bishops Caundle

Bincombe1.jpgBishops Caundle

Unknown Dedication

This a most attractive roadside church serving the village around it. The tower and nave are C15, although the nave was restored in 1864 by W. Slater. The chancel is 1300 in origin, but that too was altered and restored at the same time.

There is a Victorian carved stone reredos and a C15 octagonal font. The large memorial of 1815 commemorates the Daubeney and Herbert families. Note also Charles II's coat of arms dated 166, just one year after the Restoration - see also Trent.

Other Dorset churches by Slater are: Chetnole, Oborne (new church), Pentridge, Sherborne Abbey (in partnership with R.C.Carpenter).