This is a very interesting country church built from local rubble. The oldest part is the C15 tower with its five bells. The nave is to the design of the celebrated Victorian architect, Augustus Pugin, and completed around 1845-6. In 1872, further alterations were made to the chancel. The chapel in the north aisle was given by the rector, Rev. Irving, in 1959 and dedicated to the Saxon saint St. Juthware. The tradition is that she carried her head to the altar after being beheaded and is the inspiration for some of the Dorset 'Quiet Woman' pub signs.
The corbel stones are exceptionally plain for a Victorian build and it has been suggested that they were left like that in anticipation of decoration by a stone carver. Perhaps the money ran out?
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©