Abbotsbury Parish Church
The church stands in this most attractive village near the famous tithe barn and other remains of a Benedictine Abbey, founded shortly before the Norman Conquest. This great abbey lasted for 500 years until Henry VIII dissolved almost all the monasteries between 1536 and 1541. The present church stands slightly to the north of where the huge abbey church once stood and, in monastic times, was used by the secular parish. It and only half of the original tithe barn remain.
What we see today is essentially a C14 fabric in origin with a C15 tower. There was extensive rebuilding about the end of the C15. The chancel has an attractive plastered barrel ceiling dated 1638. Note C15 painted glass in the south aisle, late C12 effigy of an abbot in the porch, Jacobean pulpit with tester still showing bullet holes sustained in a skirmish during the Civil War and the superb C18 reredos. Note also a small thanksgiving memorial recording the fact that no lives were lost from Abbotsbury during the Word War II.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©