Postcode for SatNavDT2 8NY
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-717883

No dedication

A church has stood in this beautiful setting since King Athelstan (circa 966) made Whitcombe part of the endowment of Milton Abbey.  The village in medieval times would have been much larger than the present small, but most attractive, suite of buildings.

The nave is largely 12c and the chancel with its steps to a rood loft are 15c.  The tower is 16c.  There are important wall paintings dating from 1300 and the Purbeck marble font is from the same period.  The poet William Barnes, who was also a parson and had the living at nearby Came, took his first service here in 1847 and his last in 1885.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©

Search by Village Name