Coombe Keynes

Article Index

O.S. Landranger Map reference194-843841

Coombe Keynes

Holy Rood - Redundant (now a village hall)

The building has its origins in the 13c with a tower and pyramidal roof of Purbeck stone tiles.  It was the Mother Church for Wool. 

There must have been a considerable reduction in the congregations between the 13c and 19c because when the Victorians rebuilt it in 1861 to a design by John Hicks, they removed the south aisle.  This reduction continued into the 20c leading to the church being declared redundant in 1967.