Netherbury is a delightful village of mature cottages and houses set in a valley overlooked by the ancient church, which stands well above the bulk of the settlement. This very pleasing building is mainly C14 and C15 with some inevitable C19 restoration, when the roofs were renewed. There is a shallow Norman font where Admiral Sir Samuel Hood (1724-1816), who stood high in the esteem of the Navy, was christened. A splendid canopied tomb supports a rather battered 1480 alabaster effigy of a knight in armour, who is thought to be a member of the More family. However, the most important item in the church is the magnificent Jacobean pulpit with superb inlaid panel decoration and a pair of highly polished brass banisters leading up to it.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©